However for the last few weeks I haven't been getting any updates at all.
I ignored this for a while but then it became a bit concerning.
After a bit of thinking I realised exactly what was wrong. The repos I was using were no longer being updated.
When pacman gets an update for itself it often says that
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlisthas been installed as
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew,(probably to conserve your current server choice) but me being lazy, I had just left it that way.
I quickly typed:
bash$ sudo rm -rf /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
bash$ sudo mv /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
then selected the repos I got the best ping from, and uncommented them.
bash$ sudo pacman -Suy
Got about 35 updates and felt a bit foolish. At least thats one mistake I won't make again.